Font size
Gray tone

EU/EEA Nationals

Registration and stay

EEA and Swiss Confederation nationals do not have to register to stay in the Republic of Croatia for a maximum of three months from the date of their entry, if they possess a valid travel document or an identity card. If intending to stay for more than three months, they have to register their intention to stay for longer with the local police in the area where they plan to stay.

A temporary residence registration certificate is issued free of charge. A biometric residence card shall be issued at the request of an EEA national for a period of five years.

You may apply for a personal identification number (OIB) directly at your local Tax Administration office where you are staying, independently of whether you have registered your stay. In some cases, you will need confirmation of the address at which you are staying. When you regulate your stay, the Police authorities can give you a residence registration certificate. If you are staying in a tourist facility, during the first three months you may prove your address by using the certificate printed from the e-visitor system.

The right to permanent residence may be exercised after five years of uninterrupted legal residence in the Republic of Croatia.

Ministry of the Interior

How can I register with the Croatian Employment Service?

To register with the Croatian Employment Service, you will need the following:

  • a personal identification number (OIB);
  • a Croatian address (a residence certificate or a printout from the e-visitor system during the first 90 days);
  • a valid identity document issued in your country (an identity card or a passport).
    A certificate or diploma proving your highest level of education should be presented also if possible.

If you wish to transfer your right to unemployment benefits from your country, please consult your local employment office before leaving your country to obtain all the necessary information on your rights and obligations. You should also ask for a U2 transfer document, which you need to continue receiving benefits.

Registering on the CES register (COVID)

Social security and insurance

When you are looking for a job in another EU Member State as an EU/EEA citizen, you can transfer certain rights enjoyed in your own country, and primarily the right to unemployment benefits and healthcare. Rights are transferred through transfer documents (PD) issued by the relevant authorities in your country. The Croatian Employment Service is responsible for coordinating the right to unemployment benefits. PDU forms are used for this purpose. The most important forms are:

PDU1: this form contains information on the jobseeker's periods of employment (insurance), which serves as a basis for determining the right to benefits, the amount of benefits and the duration of the right.

PDU2: this form is used to transfer unemployment rights acquired in one Member State when moving to another Member State to seek work.

The right to healthcare is the competence of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund, based on PDS forms. For mobile workers, the most important form is the PDS1. It allows you to exercise the right to healthcare in the country where you decide to live even though you are insured in another country.

Transfer of unemployment benefits
Forms for exercising social security rights